BY KEVIN DIFFILY // JAN. 18, 2013 //
A Curry student and a friend were robbed off campus at gunpoint around 12:30 a.m. Thursday, according to Milton police. Curry Public Safety notified students, faculty and staff by email less than 12 hours later.
While reportedly walking back from the Tedeschi’s convenience store in Hyde Park, the student and his friend were on Dana Avenue—it runs between Brush Hill Road in Milton and Hyde Park Avenue in Hyde Park—when a man driving a black Honda Civic stepped out of his vehicle and approached them with handgun. He reportedly demanded their belongings and immediately drove away after receiving them.
An HP laptop, a cell phone, wallet, and several gift cards were reported stolen, said Milton police, which noted that the robbery seems to be an isolated incident; no similar events had been reported recently.
The student and friend did not recall a license plate number, and told police only that the robber was a white male who was wearing a hooded sweatshirt. They could not discern any distinctive features on the man, police said.
In his email to the college community late Thursday morning, Greeley offered some tips for staying safe on and around campus.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Don’t walk with ear buds in or while talking on your cell phone.
- Don’t get so engrossed in text messaging you forget to look around.
- Keep personal items out of sight as much as possible.
- Walk with others at night or, ideally, avoid walking off campus late at night.
- Walk along frequently traveled, well-lighted, open areas.
- If you believe someone is following you, go where there are other people.
- Trust your intuition if you feel a situation is unsafe.